TPS rolls out new safety plan for upcoming basketball season
By Bri'on Whiteside / The Blade
Tue, 03 Dec 2019 17:01:16 GMT
link -- with images
Toledo Public Schools have announced new safety procedures for the 2019-20 basketball season.
In a written statement released Tuesday morning, school officials said the new procedures are being implemented to ensure the safety of students, staff, families, and spectators. The new measures follow safety procedures implemented during this year’s football season after shots were fired outside a Woodward High School game.
The new measures for this basketball season are:
- Doors will open 30 minutes prior to the first game of the night, with freshman games beginning at 4:45 p.m. If there is no freshman game, then the first game will be the junior varsity game, which will begin at 6 p.m.
- Students who attend one of the participating schools must show their school ID for admission to the game. Students without a valid ID will not be admitted. Spectators who are not students will be asked to show valid ID.
- Metal detectors will be used at all TPS home basketball games.
- TPS elementary students and younger spectators must be accompanied by an adult at all times
- Students who attend other TPS high schools or other local schools must be accompanied by an adult to attend the game.
- Tickets will only be sold at the gate — no pre-sale tickets sold at schools. No ticket sales after the end of the second quarter of the varsity game, which begins at 7:30 p.m.
- There will be no re-entry to the field house or gymnasium.
- The student dress code must be followed at athletic events, meaning no gang-related attire, masks, facial coverings, or memorial T-shirts or clothing.
- No backpacks or large bags will be permitted into the field house or gymnasium. All spectators and their belongings are subject to being searched.
Officials said TPS Department of Public Safety and school personnel officers reserve the right to refuse entrance to any student or spectator.